7 Things You Should Know About Makar Sankranti
* Makar Sankranti is a harvest festival celebrated as the transition of the sun that takes place from Sagittarius to Capricorn.
*On this day people worship the Sun God and take a holy dip at Sangam, which is the confluence of the rivers Yamuna, Saraswati and Ganga in Allahabad as it is considered to cleanse ones sins.
* Various traditional delicacies of rice and til are made on this day along with a few traditional sweets.
* Kite flying is a ritual of sorts as people believe that through the kites, their wishes reach the Gods.
* The festival is known by various names in different parts of the country. In Gujarat, it is known as ‘Uttarayan’, it’s called ‘Khichiri’ in Uttar Pradesh, the eve of Makar Sankranti is celebrated as ‘Lohri’ in Punjab, while in the south it is popularly called ‘Pongal’ and in Madhya Pradesh the festival is known as ‘Sakarat’.
* Did you know that Makar means Capricorn and Sankranti refers to transition?
* The northward revolution of the sun begins on Makar Sankranti
May you find your life partner during the divine festival of Makar Sankranti!