* Earth Day is celebrated every year on the 22nd of April.
* The idea is to raise awareness about a wide range of environmental issues and problems. The aim of the day is to bring attention to environmental issues to spark changes that will result in a healthy, sustainable environment.
* The theme for Earth Day 2016 is: Trees for the Earth! The plan is to plant 7.8 billion trees by Earth Day’s 50th in 2020. That is one tree for every person on the planet!
* Trees for the Earth will focus on those regions of the world most affected by deforestation.
* The first Earth Day celebration took place on March 21, 1970. It was the idea of John McConnell, a newspaper publisher and influential community activist, who proposed the idea of a global holiday called Earth Day at a UNESCO Conference on the Environment in 1969.
* There are various ways to participate on this day. This includes urging local officials and businesses to make a tree planting commitment through petitions or campaigns, invite experts to educate the community about reducing your carbon footprint and lead a recycling drive, using recyclable containers for snacks and lunches, etc.