“Pyar dosti hai … agar woh meri sab se achchi dost nahin ban sakti, to main usse kabhi pyar kar hi nahi sakta … kyun ki dosti bina toh pyar hota hi nahin … simple, pyar dosti hai.”
This iconic dialogue from the Shahrukh-Kajol-Rani starrer blockbuster Kuch Kuch Hota Hai paved way for the youngsters that two people first need to be good friends to be good lovers.
So, is friendship the first step to true love?
A 2012 study in the Journal of Social and Personal Relationships found that couples who valued the friendship part of their relationship over other aspects had more success in both the short and long term.
The big fear about falling in love with a friend is that, if the relationship goes bad, you’re down both a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner and a friend who might have comforted you through the breakup or tough times. It’s a big risk, but when it goes right, it pays off big time. Falling in love with a best friend can be the best thing in the world.
Let’s find out why?
1) You’ve seen what he/she is like as a boyfriend/girlfriend from watching him/her date other people. You know how devoted he/she can be and what his/her style is because friends have been in the wings all along, probably giving each other advice on how not to screw up relationships. All that work and advice is going to come back to benefit you after all.
2) You’ve already met his/her parents and all of his/her friends and anyone else who might make you nervous. You don’t have to worry about the first time meets and don’t have to face the awkwardness either. You don’t have to worry about being accepted by his/her loved ones.
3) You will understand each other, behaviours and moods better. You guys will understand if something is wrong with the other person’s mood and be more understanding towards difficult situations. You will also know how to make up each other’s moods or cheer them up. You guys get each other — that’s what happens when you’re friends with someone for years.
4) Nothing in your social life will have to be changed because this is something that you guys will be already aware of and comfortable with it. That nagging concern that you’re ditching your BFF for your new BF is totally taken care of because, voilà, your BFF is now your BF.
5) Your “how we met” story is will be as filmy as you know it. Everyone’s faces will be full of questions and gossips here and there when you guys start talking about the slow burn of your friendship turning into a relationship You will act like you don’t care about it; well,everyone does. The friends who thought you all were dating while you all were friends will pat their backs with happiness.
6) You know about each other’s entire nasty breakup stories. He/She was probably the first person you called after every breakup, which means he’s probably comforted you while you cry about how all guys suck. You don’t have to have the Big Ex Conversation in this relationship — you guys have lived through it with each other.
7) You know all the deepest of each other’s secrets. All those messy talks most couples have a few months in, when all the tea gets spilled? All of this will be a phase which has already passed and will only make the relationship much stronger.
We are Shahrukh Khan must have inspired a lot of us to have first found friendships in the person we love. We are sure you or your friends must have had such experiences. We have listed a few. We would love to hear from you. Let us know in the comments section below if you know of any such perks of falling in love with your best friend